Current Promotions

Saturday, February 1, 2014

EOs for beautiful, healthy hair!

Always nice to have a good hair day!
I no longer have to deal with having a greasy scalp and dry, wiry hair. My kids don't have to suffer the itch of having dry, flaky scalps any more. Thank goodness! Here is what has worked for us! Be sure to read to the end of this post to discover why these natural products have worked for me!

For the kiddos (and adults too) 
with cradle cap/ dandruff/ dry patches:

60 drops fractionated coconut oil (Why FCO here.)
8 drops doTERRA lavender
8 drops doTERRA melaleuca
8 drops doTERRA rosemary

I mix these oils together in a glass bottle with a dropper lid. This makes it easy to use for a scalp massage once or twice a week. I just apply a couple drops of the mixture about an hour before their bath times so it has a chance to really soak in and get absorbed. Then, we wash it out with doTERRA salon essentials protecting shampoo.



 













My daily routine, for my vanity:

1. Pre-shower scalp massage with two drops doTERRA rosemary essential oil. (Good for retaining hair color, preventing hair loss, and encouraging hair growth.)
2. Ditch the poo! I "shampoo" by washing my scalp with a baking soda/ water paste.
3. Condition naturally with a raw, organic apple cider vinegar mixture! (I use a 1:3 vinegar to water ratio.)

When I mention vinegar, I typically get negative reactions because of the smell. This is something I personally don't understand. I grew up gargling vinegar to combat sore throats, ordering vinegar on my sub sandwiches, and topping my salads with vinaigrette. I'm likely to start salivating over the smell of apple cider vinegar. With that being said, no- my hair does not smell like vinegar! I pour the diluted vinegar over my hair and comb my locks in the shower to evenly disperse the vinegar. (Bonus: Vinegar is an awesome de-tangler!) And then I do a quick rinse. The scent never lingers when my hair dries. Instead, I have softer hair with wonderful volume! And, softer skin too! Since starting to rinse with vinegar in the shower, my husband has started praising my soft skin. In January! Winter vortex, January! Soft skin was practically a miracle during those cold, dry weeks! Yea- I really love my vinegar!

Extra love once a week (Deep Conditioning Treatment):

I mix together 1 tablespoon raw, organic honey with 1 tablespoon raw, organic, unrefined coconut oil- warmed. I apply this delicious smelling (and tasting; I may have tried it once) goop to my pony tail and wrap it up in a bun. Thirty minutes later, I take my shower and shampoo with doTERRA salon essentials shampoo and end with my usual vinegar rinse to condition.

Why do these work? 
  • Lavender oil, this seemingly cure all oil, is great for dandruff, dry hair, fragile hair, hair loss, itching, dry skin, pain, and rashes.
  • Melaleuca oil is great for managing scalp issues because of it's antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-infectious, and antiviral properties.
  • Rosemary oil helps balance the scalps sebaceous glands. It's amazing to me that since applying this as a pre-shower scalp massage, I haven't had problems with a greasy scalp- something that has bothered me for years! It helps prevent hair loss and loss of natural hair color. And, I figure this is an added bonus, Rosemary oil helps to improve one's memory! Give me an extra drop of that to rub on my noggin! Also, it is good for treating lice.
  • Baking Soda will gently exfoliate; remove dead skin cells from the scalp and build up on hair.
  • Raw, organic, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, "balances your hair’s pH levels (which commercial shampoos claim to do, but they only strip your hair) so it helps with dandruff and dry scalp. The ACV also removes build up, detangles your locks for easy combing, and smooths your hair cuticles, hence the shininess" (simplyinfatuated.com). This natural solution costs me $3.89 for a 16 oz bottle of Braggs ACV (raw, organic, unfiltered, unpasteurized) and since I use it diluted, I get 48oz for $3.89! Using vinegar for a conditioner is better for the environment, arguably better for your hair, and definitely better for your budget! 
  • Raw, organic honey. Oh the goodness of honey. It fights infections, it's a humecant, it can prevent hair loss. Basically, it's awesome and this short article on youqueen.com explains it wonderfully. Check it out!
  • Raw, organic, unrefined coconut oil is awesome for these reasons: "Vitamin E helps rebuild protein in hair lost through styling. Keeps hair shiny and builds strength. Can be used as a deep conditioning treatment.Has a long shelf life, unlike other hair care products that quickly oxidize and turn rancid. Can be used as a medicinal treatment for dandruff and scalp complaints. Smells lush and tropical, which means your hair will, too!" (trend-statement.org
You can purchase your doTERRA essential oils and fractionated coconut oil on my website mydoterra.com/jessicamyers
Sources
Modern Essentials, A Contemporary Guide to the Therapeutic Use of Essential Oils, 5th Edition. 
Arm and hammer baking soda tips
simplyinfatuated.com
Youqueen.com
Trend-statement.org

No comments:

Post a Comment